Trust me; you’ll want to travel to Hermosa Beach after learning more about some of the amazing sites this area has to offer. Next time you visit LA, make sure to take a day trip over to Hermosa Beach.
Dearest D-RAVEL Traveler,
My name is Anna (@annaweih), and I know you will love California as much as I do. Picture this: Waking up at 9 am on a Monday morning to the sound of ocean waves crashing on the short. The sun feels warm on your skin as you walk along the strand to pick up your coffee before heading into work at 9 am. Your insides are warm with happiness.
Travel to Hermosa Beach
It’s almost hard to believe that was my life a year ago. Last summer, I had the opportunity to move out to Hermosa Beach, CA, and intern at BLND PR. I lived out every girl’s dream of a California summer, and it was two and a half months of pure bliss. I am counting down the days until I can again travel to Hermosa Beach.
Although Hermosa Beach is only 15 minutes outside of Los Angeles, things are very different from the bustling streets and high-rise buildings of downtown. Here are a few tips and tricks too traveling like a local and finding Hermosa’s hotspots.
Places to eat
- Martha’s 22nd Street Grill. This place is a MUST when visiting Hermosa. It has the best breakfast I’ve seriously ever had—you can’t go wrong with anything on the menu. A few of my favs are the fresh-squeezed orange juice, A.B.C. omelet, steak and eggs bowl, and the breakfast burrito. This local diner sits as close to the beach as you can get, so you’re guaranteed a view if you sit outside! There’s usually a wait on weekends, so I often went early in the morning to ensure I got seated before the brunch crowds came piling in.
- La Palmilla’s Cocina Y Tequila. If you love Mexican food, this is your spot. I’m not exaggerating when I say I ate there over 20 times. I raved about this place—I probably would have eaten there every weekend if it was up to me. A few of my favorites include the chips and guacamole, spicy jalapeno margarita, tacos de pescados, enchiladas suizas rojas, and the churros. Fun fact about this restaurant: I experienced my first earthquake here when I was on a date with my boyfriend!
- The Source Cafe. This is the perfect place for a quick but healthy meal on-the-go. The Source has so many healthy juices to choose from and super healthy options. This place is the epitome of eating as the locals do. My favs include the bone broth, avocado toast, and smoked salmon bagel. This is definitely on the pricey side, but totally worth it!
- Tower 12. This is more of a bar with yummy pizza and apps, but SO fun! If you’re 21+, this is the place to be. The nightlife scene is so fun and laid back. They have high-top tables, karaoke, and the best drinks. Tower 12 is the most popular bar in H.B.— you won’t want to miss it.
Things to do
- Walk the strand. The strand goes on for SO many miles and is a beautiful path right next to the ocean! People walk, run, bike, rollerblade, skateboard—you name it. Because I had so much alone time last summer, I spent hours walking the strand and taking in the ocean breeze. The strand takes you right to the pier, which gives you the best sunset views in the city.
- Go to the beach. This is such an obvious suggestion, but Hermosa Beach is beautiful and insanely clean. Even during June gloom, I would throw on a sweatshirt and read on the beach. Something about it is so peaceful and good for the soul.
- SoHo Yoga. I am a huge yogi and love trying new studios everywhere I go. This place is no joke. So-Ho kicked my booty into shape real quick. Most of their classes are heated, and they offer pilates, sweat n sculpt, vinyasa, core flow, abs-asana, power flow, fuse, meditation, and more! They rent yoga mats and towels for a small fee and offer lavender-scented cool towels for when class is over.
If you’re looking for a relaxing and lowkey getaway, Hermosa Beach is the perfect place for you. This quaint beach town is walkable, so no need to rent a car! Everyone dresses casual (jeans + sneaks casual—I never saw a single high heel during my entire summer). If you’re traveling to L.A., take a day to escape the city life and check out all Hermosa offers. I’m sure you’ll fall in love with it as quickly as I did.
Make sure to travel safely!